DFU Smart Boot powered by Sensoria®
Diabetes and Foot Complications
- Every 20 seconds, a limb is lost due to diabetes. Every 1.2 seconds there is a new ulcer. There is no amputation without ulceration.
- After a patient has an amputation, there is a 50% chance that he or she will have the other limb amputated within two years. Patient life expectancy is less than five years. Same as cancer.
- Diabetic Foot Ulcers (DFUs) are responsible for more hospitalizations than any other complication of diabetes. At least $40 billion dollars in direct costs annually worldwide. About $17.5B in the U.S. alone.
Sensoria Smart Boot is compliant to the IWGDF guidelines and was the most referenced product in the latest offloading clinical gold standard guidelines.
However… Subjects with diabetic foot ulcerations wear their offloading devices just 28% of their daily steps.
- There is strong evidence that uncomplicated plantar ulcers can be healed in 8 to 12 weeks.
- Yet current “standard of care” in US clinical trials have a 76% treatment failure rate at 12 weeks.
A Smarter Solution
Smart Boot: The world’s first smart diabetic footwear. The intelligent Cam Boot monitors patient’s rehabilitation compliance to the clinician’s prescribed stabilization and mechanical offloading protocol.
Coaching: Easy to use application provides users with real-time feedback on adherence and compliance to physicians orders.
Clinical Dashboard: Clinical dashboard provides adherence and compliance information. It also tracks the time the clinician spends on each patient per month to facilitate remote patient monitoring billing.
Smart Boot powered by Sensoria
- Breathable, washable upper, rigid sole for level placement of insert kits.
- Range of customizable modular layers.
- Web connected pressure sensing insole to ensure proper mechanical offloading.
- Easy adjustable straps. Fully rocking polyurethane sole.
- Can be made into a non-removable system.
- Web connected sensors to inform patient and care giver of activity and offloading adherence.
- Reimbursable by Medicare and additional funds available to the physician for remote patient monitoring.
- Used for BOTH stabilization and offloading.
Insole is customized to offload the pressure from the ulcer.
Tri-laminate insole consists of removable independent hexagonal pieces that work collectively to adjust and react to forces under the plantar surface of the foot.
To ensure even distribution of pressure and minimize the risk of developing new foot ulcers, the insole is heat-moldable.
- Sensoria’s incredibly thin smart insole can be placed in the boot to ensure a perfect fit.
- The Smart App coaches patients on their compliance.
- Tracks activities like steps, minutes active, minutes resting and how long the boot is off.
- The app communicates directly with the physician’s system providing them real-time updates on the patient.
- Available via smart phone or smart watch.
The Smart Boot powered by Sensoria offers RPM opportunities to physicians. The boot continuously monitors patient compliance. Sending patients and physicians valuable data that will help guide and alter treatment plans. The Sensoria Dashboard calculates the amount of time the physician is monitoring the patient to determine if they can be reimbursed for remote patient monitoring. Physicians are now able to bill Medicare for these services.
Frequently Asked Questions
Initially, yes, the patient can remove the boot; however, this should ONLY be done while sleeping or taking a shower. If the patient is not adherent to these guidelines, the physician can make the boot irremovable.
S (34-36), M (37-39), L (40-42), XL (43-45), XXL (46-48)
Yes, it is covered by L-Code 4386
The boot and monthly service is sold separately. Diabetic foot ulcers vary in recovery time, so you pay as you go, that way you don’t pay for something that you don’t need.
Yes, using the remote patient monitoring CPT codes, 99453. 99454, 99457 and 99458 the monthly service fees are covered and the physician is reimbursed for reviewing the data.
Microsoft (Nasdaq “MSFT” @microsoft) enables digital transformation for the era of an intelligent cloud and an intelligent edge. Its mission is to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more.
For more than 125 years, the clinicians at Rancho Los Amigos National Rehabilitation Center (Rancho Los Amigos) in Downey, California, have been on a mission to restore health, rebuild life, and revitalize hope for persons with a life-changing illness, injury, or disability.